Commonwealth Games NSW is offering $1,000 grants to one nominated athlete from each of the 19 sports and 7 para-sports on the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games program.
Conditions apply as stated below. The Division (formed in 1957) currently has 24 affiliated member sports.
The CGNSW Athlete Grant, first awarded in 2016, provides financial assistance for young ‘up and coming’ NSW athletes. The program targets athletes that have not received significant funding from other peak bodies, eg AIS, NSWIS, NSWOC, state or national sporting bodies or via individual sponsorships.
Nominations open 1st May each year of the program and close 31st May of the same year. Nominations are limited to one per affiliated sport and para-sport on the upcoming Commonwealth Games program.
The CGNSW Athlete Grant program is sustainable and ongoing. The Division will award the grants every second year. CGNSW is greatly appreciative of our Program Partner – First Option Credit Union, who provides approximately 14% of the funding for the athletes.
2017 Wrestling winner Nathan Mc Millan being handed the cheque from CGNSW by President NSW Wrestling, Don Brown and John Kinsela OAM Board Member for $1,000 to assist with his wrestling training.
- Each nomination shall comply with the following criteria:
- The athlete shall be under the age of 20 on the closing date of nominations.
- The athlete should be chosen from amongst your sport’s high performance pathway programs.
- All nominees must be a resident of NSW.
- Nominees are preferably regionally-based, however sports may present a case otherwise.
- Each nomination must be endorsed by the SSO senior executive and President or Head Coach.
- The athlete must not have received significant funding from other peak bodies (inc NSWIS, NSW Olympic Council).
- No athlete may receive the CGNSW Athlete Grant more than once.
- Maximum athlete grant of $1,000 per sport and para-sport per year of the program.
- Only affiliated sports that paid the annual affiliation fee by the due date (31st March) and that are on the upcoming Commonwealth Games sports program are eligible.
- The decision of the Division Executive to award any nomination is final and binding.
CEO – CGNSW